What do you call the grass strip between the road and the sidewalk?

by Mark Israel
     [This is a fast-access FAQ excerpt.]
This varies regionally.  Terms include "verge" (U.K.); "nature
strip" (south Australia); "berm" (New Zealand); "parkway" and
"planting strip" (western U.S.); "parking strip", "parking", "tree
belt", "tree lawn", "lawn strip", "devil strip", "boulevard", and
"terrace" (all eastern U.S.); "city strip" and "boulevard strip"
(both Canada); and "long acre" (rural Ireland and elsewhere).  Most
of these terms have other meanings also.